Saturday, May 26, 2007

Middle Fork Gila River

MIDDLE FORK GILA RIVER, GILA WILDERNESS. May 24th and 25th, 2007. Days 18 and 19.
On day 18 Erin reluctantly left Jordan Hot Springs behind and continued upstream along the Middle Fork of the Gila River camping a few miles south of Snow Lake and the wilderness area boundary. That night the dang mule "broke into" the grain stores; seeing no reason to hang around camp he took a sight seeing trip up and out of the canyon. Erin awoke to the absence of animals. She tracked them down; they were not impressed by her offers of grain so capture was delayed for hours. She camped at the same spot. Given the mule's (Yoakum) repeated transgressions and his role as ring-leader he will no longer be out of a halter and at night will always be hobbled or on a high line. He cannot be trusted to graze close by. Bad mule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy Erin,

I work for your uncle Bill in the field, and my wife, Renee', works in the office for J&Z. She told me about your journey yesterday and I have to tell you I think its absolutely fantastic what you are doing. That is quite an undertaking and I feel certain you will be quite successful. I will be checking your blog every few days for the updates. Good Luck to you...enjoy the trip and cherish your youth. Its gone in quite a hurry it seems. OH to be 21 again.

Your new fan and friend,
Mick N.